You need a pair of bolts to fix the toilet against the floor. To give an impressive look to the toilet, there is a cap covering the bolts.
In some toilets, the bolts are there at the back of the toilet seat too. If your toilet is getting wobbly and it is not standing firmly on the floor, then it means that there is some problem with the bolts.
Thus, it becomes essential to tighten the bolts again. Tightening the bolts can be hard, especially when the bolts are there in the nut for long.
If the toilet is there for a long time, then the bolts will freeze within the nuts. Hence, it becomes hard to tighten the bolts to the required levels.
Adding oil or exerting slight pressure can work wonders for the nut and the bolts in such cases.
How To Tighten The Existing Bolts?
- Remove the cap on the bolts and the side panels to closely examine the bolts. Use a putty knife to pry the bolts. Do the same with the side panels.
- Use the pliers to hold the bolt stem. Use a wrench to hold the bolt and turn the nut. Do not move the pliers along with the nut either it can damage the threads. If the bolt is hard to lose, don’t exert too much pressure to damage it.
- Use drop-by-drop oil on the bolt. Add it to the bottom too. As the oil sits to the bottom, it would allow the bolt to open. Sometimes it would take three to four hours to loosen the bolts.
- Hold the bolt stem with the pliers again. With the wrench, try exerting pressure slowly and step by step way. Tighten the bolt lightly, simply turning a quarter every time. Stop turning the bolt as soon as it tightens too might tightening would cause the bolt to crack or break.
How To Tighten The New Bolts?
- Turn off the water supply and flush the toilet thoroughly.
- Remove the water supply hose.
- Remove the bolts from the toilet. If these bolts are stripped or frozen, simply remove them by using the bolt cutters.
- Lift the toilet and then place it carefully on the floor. Use a rag to block the waste pipe so that the sewer gases would not come up into the bathroom.
- Remove all the wax.
- Remove the bolts from the flange. Gradually slide them forward or backward so that they get loose. It is time to remove them.
- Place the new bolts.
- Replace the existing wax flange with the new one. Remove the rag and place the toilet carefully on the flange.
- After fixing the bolts, tighten the nuts around them. Make sure that the bolts are in their right position. Sit on the seat to make sure that the wobbling no more exists.
Bolts ensure that the toilet is in the right place. Thus, it is of too much importance to tighten them properly.
It is essential to keep the bolts in the right place to guarantee proper working.