There is nothing more haunting for the homeowners than leakages.
Regardless of the leakage point, it is essential to keep a close check on what is happening.
Once you find the water dripping, the first concern you will come across is, “Where is that water coming from?” One place that can cause leakage is the bathroom exhaust fan.
The home dwellers often find the exhaust fans leaking when it is raining. It is among the most noted leakages in the bathroom vent.
Once you find water leaking down in the rain, it is called for the in-time solution to the problem.
Causes Of Leaking Vent In Rain
If your bathroom vent is leaking during the rain, then there are possibly two different reasons for the problem:
- Condensation in the ducts
- Water standing on the roof
Condensation In The Ducts
During the rain, the temperature gets lower and causes condensation in the ducts. This condensation can stay in the ducts for a very long time if we do not clear them in time.
The condensation takes time to vent out. Once it accumulates in the ducts after some time, it would start dripping from the exhaust fan.
Thus, it would make things look inconvenient for you. The accumulation of the condensation can be due to the following reasons besides the low temperature:
- The damper is not working properly.
- The fan is out of order, or we do not fix it in the right position.
- The operational time of the fan is not enough to clear the condensation.
Water Standing On The Roof
At times if there is heavy rain for a long time and the water stands on the roof, there are chances that you would experience a leaking vent in the bathroom. The rainwater stays on the roof due to
- Inadequate insulation of the roof and the attic
- Moisture problem all over the home
- Improper installation of the roofing materials
Fixing The Leaking Vent
1. If the problem is due to condensation, then it is the easiest problem to handle well in time. It is among the easiest to handle. Make sure the damper is closed.
It must open when there is enough warmth in the bathroom. The warm air inside the bathroom exerts pressure, and the damper opens.
Make sure that it would not open other than this moment. If it is not working the way it should, correct the problem.
2. Check the fan. It must perform with the right air movement CFM.
3. Keep the fan running after taking a shower.
4. Improve the roof’s insulation and the attic by contacting professional insulating services for repairing the roofs.
The bathroom exhaust fan that is leaking during the rain is a sign of extreme problems. The above article is highlighting the different reasons behind the leakage along with the solutions.
The major cause of the rain-time leakage is found to be condensation. If you correct the leakage’s minor reasons, you can save your space from huge renovations and constructions.
If you feel that things are going out of hand, you need to get professional assistance from an expert.